The World Builders Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where creative thinkers come together to build worlds...

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

So I've decided to quit my job...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
BrassButtons
Primary Character
BrassButtons

So I've decided to quit my job... Empty
PostSubject: So I've decided to quit my job...   So I've decided to quit my job... EmptyThu Dec 20, 2012 9:47 pm

I know it was the right decision. I've known for months that it was the right decision. But now that I've committed...

OH GOD OH GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE TIME TO PANIC HOLY CRAP I HAVE NO JOB AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!! *deep breaths*

So, since I'm trying not to become an anxiety-riddled mess over this, I need you good people to distract me. Got any stories of "taking the plunge", as it were, with anything in your own lives? How did it turn out? (Note: please don't say that it ended badly, or else this whole 'get comfort from the Internet' thing might seriously backfire.)
Back to top Go down
drefan72
Minor Character
drefan72

PostSubject: Re: So I've decided to quit my job...   So I've decided to quit my job... EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 11:30 am

Years ago I walked out on a job I had and was in good standing with, never looked back and was the best decision I ever made.
Back to top Go down
BrassButtons
Primary Character
BrassButtons

PostSubject: Re: So I've decided to quit my job...   So I've decided to quit my job... EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 2:21 pm

That's good to hear Smile

I spent Christmas vacation mulling things over, and while I'm still rather freaked out by the whole "unemployed in a bad economy" thing, I think I've reinforced my belief that I need to get out of that office. Talking with my sister about her job was a big part of that--one of the lines my (now former) manager tried to feed me was that the level of unhappiness in that office was normal, and that expecting anything different was a result of me being naive. But my sister (who also works a 9-5 desk job) was always excited talking about her work, how great the company was, how fun the people were, etc. I think that after 4 years if I don't feel similarly about where I'm working, it's a bad sign.

I made the official call to my (former) manager this morning (I quit last week, but she asked me to think about it over my vacation and then give my decision). She tried very hard to guilt-trip me into finishing the month (I should note that "finishing the month" doesn't mean working until the end of December--it means working until all the December money has been posted, which could take until mid-January). She kept talking about "everything we've done for you" as if it was some kind of freaking charity. I was tempted to ask how much notice she gave to all the people she's fired--some of whom worked there longer than I did (one of them was the VERY FIRST EMPLOYEE, and I know she wasn't given any advanced notice). I'm realizing that part of my problem with that job is how incredibly manipulative the management tries to be. I guess that's related to the "if you can't win by reason go for volume" school of thought.

I have some idea of where I want to go now, though. There's a Petsmart down the road (within walking distance--yay!) that's looking for dog trainers. And while it probably won't be the best job ever, it's a field that I think I might want to break into. And it's a complete change from what I've been doing, which I think I need.

OK, so I stopped working on this comment to do something else for a few minutes, and instead several hours went by. Heh. I've completed the application to Petsmart (holy crap did that take a long time), and I spoke to someone on the phone who said she'd make sure the hiring manager took a look at my application. Hopefully I'll hear some good news soon.
Back to top Go down
Calwyn
Sidekick
Calwyn

PostSubject: Re: So I've decided to quit my job...   So I've decided to quit my job... EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 4:02 pm

It certainly sounds like you did the right thing BB. Having a job you're not happy with, in a work environment that's poor impacts your life outside of your work. If it's been weighing on your mind for so long, it'd be worth it just for the relative peace of mind you'd get.
Back to top Go down
drefan72
Minor Character
drefan72

PostSubject: Re: So I've decided to quit my job...   So I've decided to quit my job... EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 10:13 am

Working at a job you like in a field that interests you is always easier and better than doing something you hate in a field that holds no interest to you. One of the best lessons I ever heard was find your passion in life and make that your career.
Back to top Go down
BrassButtons
Primary Character
BrassButtons

PostSubject: Re: So I've decided to quit my job...   So I've decided to quit my job... EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 10:26 am

Yeah, so Omni (who works at the same company that I just left [and who is also looking for another job--but he's being a bit smarter about it and is trying to find said job BEFORE walking out]) had a conversation with one of the top-level managers yesterday about me quitting. And what Omni told me pretty much confirms that the company is shit.

Ages ago they installed security cameras, for HIPPA compliance. OK, cool. That makes sense. A few slightly paranoid people started spreading rumors that the cameras were for spying on employees. I actively tried to stop those rumors, because that place has bad enough morale without adding false fears to the mix. I even went to my manager and told her about the rumors, and she said they were ridiculous (and was glad that I was trying to stop them).

Yeah, those rumors? Completely fucking true. The managers all lied to us, and one of them lied to me directly. Who knows what else they've lied about?

As an aside, I'm curious about something. When I was talking with Dinwar about this whole situation I mentioned the bit about how they wanted two weeks notice from me but never give notice when firing people. He was shocked that they fire people without giving them two weeks notice first, but I had thought that was normal (dickish, but normal). So do employers usually give employees a heads up that they're getting fired, assuming the employee isn't getting booted for something major like stealing or sexual harassment?
Back to top Go down
drefan72
Minor Character
drefan72

PostSubject: Re: So I've decided to quit my job...   So I've decided to quit my job... EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 12:19 pm

I think it depends on corporate policy. The two times I've been let go from a position, both times they let me work the day, then I was pulled aside and told to clean out my desk. The first time, I didn't have a desk of my own, so had nothing to clean out, the second one absolutely blindsided me as I didn't see it coming at all. However, there is a lady in the building I work in(a different company) who was told December 1 that her job was being outsourced starting January 1. So, I think it comes to company/corporate policy on how to fire someone.
Back to top Go down
BrassButtons
Primary Character
BrassButtons

PostSubject: Re: So I've decided to quit my job...   So I've decided to quit my job... EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 12:54 pm

That's interesting. It definitely seems to me like employers who expect a two weeks' notice from quitting employees should be extending the same courtesy when they fire someone. Respect is a two-way street and all that.

Back to top Go down
Calwyn
Sidekick
Calwyn

PostSubject: Re: So I've decided to quit my job...   So I've decided to quit my job... EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 1:49 pm

It might work differently in the US, but I think in Canada if they fire you without just cause (proven incompetency, breaking company policy/the law, etc) they either have to give you a certain amount of notice or they have to pay you a certain amount for a certain amount of time. That happened to my dad with his previous job, and my friend's dad around the same time.
Back to top Go down
BrassButtons
Primary Character
BrassButtons

PostSubject: Re: So I've decided to quit my job...   So I've decided to quit my job... EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 2:06 pm

In the US that varies by state. Delaware is an at-will employment state, which means either party (employer or employee) can terminate the employment at any time for almost any reason (there are some things you can't legally be fired for, and if you have a contract saying you'll be employed for X amount of time the contract has to be honored).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So I've decided to quit my job...   So I've decided to quit my job... Empty

Back to top Go down

So I've decided to quit my job...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The World Builders Guild :: General Discussion Forums :: General Discussion Forum-
Jump to: