The World Builders Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where creative thinkers come together to build worlds...

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

For good or ill, its over.

Go down 
+9
RainCloud
Dinwar
rainshadow
Deano
lalib
carnage rahl
Professor X
Calwyn
kahrhoshe
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
kahrhoshe
Minor Character

For good or ill, its over. Empty
PostSubject: For good or ill, its over.   For good or ill, its over. EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 12:38 am

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2010/04/26/legend-of-the-seeker-canceled/

My wife and daughter are bummed, but im not sure i care all too much. Sucks that its cancelled after surviving a horrid first season but getting so much better in the second.
Back to top Go down
Calwyn
Sidekick
Calwyn

PostSubject: Re: For good or ill, its over.   For good or ill, its over. EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 12:53 am

Truly this marks the end of an era.
Back to top Go down
Professor X
Founder of the X-Men
Founder of the X-Men
Professor X

PostSubject: Re: For good or ill, its over.   For good or ill, its over. EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 7:15 am

That sucks.
Back to top Go down
http://www.worldbuildersguild.net/
carnage rahl
Primary Character
carnage rahl

PostSubject: Re: For good or ill, its over.   For good or ill, its over. EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 11:57 am

actually the only thing about the show I'm going to miss is Tabrett. she was the only person keeping the show alive for me. I didn't even care about the show itself. I'm actually happy its about to leave. it was a waste IMO
Back to top Go down
lalib
Friendly Neighborhood Terrorist
Friendly Neighborhood Terrorist
lalib

PostSubject: Re: For good or ill, its over.   For good or ill, its over. EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 12:59 pm

So long and thanks for all the fish!
Back to top Go down
Calwyn
Sidekick
Calwyn

PostSubject: Re: For good or ill, its over.   For good or ill, its over. EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 1:35 pm

There might be an official press release from Disney sometime today
Back to top Go down
Deano
Secondary Character
Deano

PostSubject: Re: For good or ill, its over.   For good or ill, its over. EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 2:10 pm

Bags. I know what it wasn't, but did enjoy it for what it was. Who knows, maybe the more hard-core fans can pull another Jericho and bring it back for half a season or so to wrap things up a bit. Hopefully Bridget and Tabrett can get picked up on something else. Anything really, I'll watch it. Poke!
Back to top Go down
rainshadow
Compulsive Writer
Compulsive Writer
rainshadow

PostSubject: Re: For good or ill, its over.   For good or ill, its over. EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 4:58 pm

There was a scene in this past episode that was one of the most fitting of the entire series.

Richard was preparing to knife Walter in preparation for the magical life transference thingamajig, and hesitated every moment Walter had an excuse to procrastinate.

Cara, obviously frustrated with the wait, reaches out and buries a knife in Walter's chest. "That wasn't so bad, now, was it?"

And Walter "dies." I hate the way they've handled death in the series but that was a brilliant bit of writing.

There are times I'll miss the show. There are many things I won't miss. The show had potential despite its problems, and at the same time, it could have been so much more.

I hope to see all the core cast be successful in the future.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Disney actually produce a movie in the future.
Back to top Go down
https://worldbuildersguild.rpg-board.net
Calwyn
Sidekick
Calwyn

PostSubject: Re: For good or ill, its over.   For good or ill, its over. EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 5:16 pm

A movie might be better. A bigger budget and hopefully more time spent on quality writing and production.
Back to top Go down
carnage rahl
Primary Character
carnage rahl

PostSubject: Re: For good or ill, its over.   For good or ill, its over. EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 5:20 pm

I hope they do the movie well. maybe after all the complaints they've heard it will go much better than what they were dishing out
Back to top Go down
Dinwar
Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: For good or ill, its over.   For good or ill, its over. EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 5:27 pm

A movie won't go well, particularly not with these characters. The SoT fans would object to deviations from the books, and the LotS fans would object to deviations from the show. As the two are incompatable, you're going to alienate half your fan base either way.

Personally, I'm glad to see the show canceled. I was okay with it until they screwed up Faith of the Fallen. I don't think I've watched a single episode since then.

Though I wonder if this has anything to do with Mr. Goodkind writing a new SoT book. I mean, if Disney isn't going to make any more LotS episodes Mr. Goodkind doesn't have to worry about his characters being abused like that anymore, and is free to write. And he'd know of any cancelations before we would.
Back to top Go down
carnage rahl
Primary Character
carnage rahl

PostSubject: Re: For good or ill, its over.   For good or ill, its over. EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 5:30 pm

sounds like we have more waiting to do. is there any thing on an official word about this subject?
Back to top Go down
Calwyn
Sidekick
Calwyn

PostSubject: Re: For good or ill, its over.   For good or ill, its over. EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 5:32 pm

Dinwar wrote:
A movie won't go well, particularly not with these characters. The SoT fans would object to deviations from the books, and the LotS fans would object to deviations from the show. As the two are incompatable, you're going to alienate half your fan base either way.

But all of them - fans of the books and fans of the show - would all see it at least once. Book fans that didn't like the show (like me) will be optimistic that the movie will be different in a good way from the show, and people who like the show will watch it because they liked the show. So it would be guaranteed to make money, even if many don't like it.
Back to top Go down
Dinwar
Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: For good or ill, its over.   For good or ill, its over. EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 5:45 pm

Not necessarily. Serenity didn't really do that well in theaters. And there will undoubtably be a large percentage of people like me, who decide "Screw it, I'm going to wait until I can see it for free".
Back to top Go down
Calwyn
Sidekick
Calwyn

PostSubject: Re: For good or ill, its over.   For good or ill, its over. EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 5:54 pm

Well that's true for all movies nowadays, not just movies made from a show/book
Back to top Go down
rainshadow
Compulsive Writer
Compulsive Writer
rainshadow

PostSubject: Re: For good or ill, its over.   For good or ill, its over. EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 6:05 pm

Quote :
Though I wonder if this has anything to do with Mr. Goodkind writing a new SoT book.

Notice that TG refers to it as the new "Richard and Kahlan novel." He is obviously taking great care to separate it from the Sword of Truth series. He probably didn't know at all, and I think Terry is going to go about it in a way to make sure it isn't a part of Disney's future arsenal.
Back to top Go down
Dinwar
Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: For good or ill, its over.   For good or ill, its over. EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 6:08 pm

I thought Disney bought the rights to the characters, not the story. As in, nothing was stopping Mr. Goodkind from writing more SoT novels except the fact that Disney would butcher them--there was no legal reason stopping him.

I could be wrong, and if I am please let me know. I'm not being snarky, or angry, or anything--merely presenting what my view of the situation is. Smile It was a long day, and tone is hard to get across sometimes.
Back to top Go down
Calwyn
Sidekick
Calwyn

PostSubject: Re: For good or ill, its over.   For good or ill, its over. EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 6:30 pm

I thought the same thing Din, but I suppose he might have enough of a case to make a stink over the semantics to discourage Disney from trying, especially considering the lack of success of the show.
Back to top Go down
rainshadow
Compulsive Writer
Compulsive Writer
rainshadow

PostSubject: Re: For good or ill, its over.   For good or ill, its over. EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 9:31 pm

No, you're right, at least according to what Ron (mystar/Cruze) told me. Now that I think about it, I am mixing two different stories here. Terry had said that the SOT arc was over, and he meant it, hence dropping the series title and going with "Richard and Kahlan".

It had nothing to do with Disney.
Back to top Go down
RainCloud
Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: For good or ill, its over.   For good or ill, its over. EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 12:39 am

rainshadow wrote:
Quote :
Though I wonder if this has anything to do with Mr. Goodkind writing a new SoT book.

Notice that TG refers to it as the new "Richard and Kahlan novel."

*crosses fingers* Pleaseohplease let it be about their kids! /sigh, more than likely, I'm still dreaming. I read how many books now and do I know about their kids? NO. That's why I started reading in the first place.

I'm sad to see the show go, just for the fans who liked it. Dollhouse is gone, Firefly left years ago, now LotS...we're dying out here! I wasn't a particular fan of LotS but then, I only saw like 10 episodes of the first season and I'm told the second season was pretty decent. Its never going to get a chance to be something really awesome Sad And the poor fans! I broke the news to one girl the other day and she was mortified. I think I ruined her day x.x

A movie? Ah, I'd go see it but I have no hope for it. Did Serenity really do bad in theatres? I suppose so, since I'd never heard about it before becoming a geek. It was a good film too... Joss Whedon is just unlucky, imo lol

Last edited by rainshadow on Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:45 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Snipped off some meaningless coding.)
Back to top Go down
Dinwar
Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: For good or ill, its over.   For good or ill, its over. EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 12:45 am

Wow, Raincloud, that's a massive wall o' text. Smile I think something screwed up in the programing.

All hope is not lost. Burn Notice is still around, after all. While Michale Weston lives, there is hope! He's been more of a Seeker than Richard in LotS.
Back to top Go down
rainshadow
Compulsive Writer
Compulsive Writer
rainshadow

PostSubject: Re: For good or ill, its over.   For good or ill, its over. EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 12:47 am

Keep in mind that ABC/Disney is just as likely to release a Made-for-TV or Direct-to-Video movie than a big screen flick.

Keep in mind that this is just a thought on my part, and the chances of it happening are likely still pretty slim.
Back to top Go down
Confessor Kahlan
Primary Character
Confessor Kahlan

PostSubject: Re: For good or ill, its over.   For good or ill, its over. EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 2:24 pm

I'm not really bothered either way to be honest. Yes, I watch the show but I'm not terribly upset if I miss an episode. It's good that it existed in the first place, though, to introduce people to the books.
Back to top Go down
Calwyn
Sidekick
Calwyn

PostSubject: Re: For good or ill, its over.   For good or ill, its over. EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 3:17 pm

I remember not too long ago I watched through the first season, and saw some episodes that I really liked. I always meant to do the same with the second season, but I never got around to it. Seems kind of pointless to, now.
Back to top Go down
Dinwar
Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: For good or ill, its over.   For good or ill, its over. EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 3:40 pm

Not really. Art is eternal and ephemeral--it's completed now, but what was made cannot be unmade. Any leasons to be gained from it, or enjoyment to be had from it, are equally important (metaphysically and aesthetically) at the completion of the art as they are at the inception.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: For good or ill, its over.   For good or ill, its over. Empty

Back to top Go down

For good or ill, its over.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next