The World Builders Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where creative thinkers come together to build worlds...

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

News news -earthquakes and tsunamis

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
RainCloud
Primary Character

News news -earthquakes and tsunamis Empty
PostSubject: News news -earthquakes and tsunamis   News news -earthquakes and tsunamis EmptyFri Mar 11, 2011 7:21 am

You all probably know I live in Hawaii. Due to a horrible 8.9 earthquake in Northern Japan, we will more than likely be experiencing a tsunami in about two hours (3 am HST, 8 am EST). My heart goes out to those in Japan and around the world who were affected by those horrible quakes (worst quake was 8.9 and some of the aftershocks were 7.0!). I also wish the rest of Hawaii and the entire West coast of the US, that is now also on a tsunami warning, a safe tsunami. As we say in Florida before a hurricane, "Don't be a hero." and don't be stupid.
Back to top Go down
rainshadow
Compulsive Writer
Compulsive Writer
rainshadow

PostSubject: Re: News news -earthquakes and tsunamis   News news -earthquakes and tsunamis EmptyFri Mar 11, 2011 10:07 am

Thanks for posting. My thoughts are with everyone in the affected areas.
Back to top Go down
https://worldbuildersguild.rpg-board.net
Calwyn
Sidekick
Calwyn

PostSubject: Re: News news -earthquakes and tsunamis   News news -earthquakes and tsunamis EmptyFri Mar 11, 2011 6:23 pm

Glad to hear you're okay. I have a couple of friends in Japan who are thankfully okay as well.
Back to top Go down
IMagius
Primary Character
IMagius

PostSubject: Re: News news -earthquakes and tsunamis   News news -earthquakes and tsunamis EmptyFri Mar 11, 2011 8:07 pm

Glad to hear you are fine. From all I have seen on the news, this pretty much turned out to be a non-event for North America and Hawaii.

Thoughts and Prayers to all in Japan ... let's hope the Nuke warnings and evacuations are only a preventative measure and that we are not looking at a repeat of Chernobyl.

Back to top Go down
RainCloud
Primary Character

PostSubject: Re: News news -earthquakes and tsunamis   News news -earthquakes and tsunamis EmptyFri Mar 11, 2011 11:55 pm

Bwhahaaha, that was exciting. Stayed up til 5 am and Oahu saw very little action, where I live next to nothing. Its good but people keep getting mad that the authorities hype up tsunamis lol And people here are like "zomg! I survived Tsunami 2011" Yeah...you stayed inside and watched the news all night.
I heard some beaches on Maui got it bad and Hawaii got slammed :/ Relatively little actual property damage though, thank god. Just large, exciting waves. Hope they had...dunno if there is a difference between flood and tsunami insurance but hope they had that. Here's a good video from Hawaii: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91Wh0_yNJhc

As for Japan...:/ Its terrible. Just terrible. The destruction and the effect on the economy is going to be stunningly bad. Already, people were saying that the economy of Japan might take a hit because older people do not buy nice things (like sports cars) and the majority of Japan is aging so I'll be interested to see how this plays out given this new turn of events. What's this about the Nuke warnings and evacuations because of that, in Japan?

Sidenote:
I heard from my boyfriend/fiance who's in Okinawa and he didn't feel anything, either this past earthquake or the one the week before that had been off the coast of Okinawa.
Back to top Go down
BrassButtons
Primary Character
BrassButtons

PostSubject: Re: News news -earthquakes and tsunamis   News news -earthquakes and tsunamis EmptySat Mar 12, 2011 9:58 am

I'm glad your tsunami experience was uneventful.

RainCloud wrote:
What's this about the Nuke warnings and evacuations because of that, in Japan?
From what I understand the quakes took out cooling elements in some of the reactors, leading to a serious risk of heat/pressure buildup. There's been an explosion at one of the plants, but fortunately it was not a nuclear explosion, and the reactor was not damaged.

Linky

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: News news -earthquakes and tsunamis   News news -earthquakes and tsunamis Empty

Back to top Go down

News news -earthquakes and tsunamis
Page 1 of 1